Our physiatrists at Glen Rock Spine & Rehab use musculoskeletal ultrasound to identify and treat the root cause of your musculoskeletal problems and chronic pain. We are committed to providing minimally invasive interventional pain treatments that address the root cause of your pain without narcotics or surgeries. However, minimally invasive pain management is only possible through comprehensive and thorough diagnostic tests, made possible because of advanced technologies like musculoskeletal ultrasound.
Identify & Treat Chronic Pain with a Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
What is musculoskeletal ultrasound?
Musculoskeletal ultrasound is an imaging system that uses sound waves to produce accurate images of muscles, tendons, nerves, joints, ligaments, and other parts of your body. This allows the physiatrists to look for sprains, strains, tears, arthritic changes, pinched nerves, and other musculoskeletal conditions responsible for your chronic pain. In short, musculoskeletal ultrasound allows physiatrists to visualize the specific location of your pain.
What are the benefits of musculoskeletal ultrasound?
- Examine all the bony structures and the surrounding tissues, including the tendons, muscles, and ligaments.
- No radiation exposure.
- Completely comfortable and painless.
- Suitable for live testing — the physiatrist can move your body parts to assess the underlying structures accurately.
- The results are immediately available, allowing the physiatrist to discuss your treatment options during the same session as your ultrasound.
- Used to guide various non-surgical treatments, such as PRP therapy and pain injections.
- More cost-effective than MRIs and CT scans.
What are the functions of a musculoskeletal ultrasound?
Musculoskeletal ultrasound has two primary functions — diagnosis and guidance.
- Diagnostic Functions: Musculoskeletal ultrasound offers a far more comprehensive and dynamic view of the underlying bony structures and soft tissues than x-rays, making it ideal for diagnostic purposes. This is one of the most effective diagnostic techniques, capable of identifying the smallest anomalies in your bone structure or spine.
- Guidance Functions: Musculoskeletal ultrasound is used for guidance during various minimally invasive treatments, such as bone marrow cell therapy, PRP therapy, cortisone injections, hyaluronic acid injections, etc. This allows us to target extremely precise locations for optimal results, minimizing the risk of side effects or complications.
What happens during the musculoskeletal ultrasound?
The musculoskeletal ultrasound is a safe and comfortable diagnostic technique. You’re asked to wear loose-fitting clothes for your appointment to facilitate the diagnosis. We place a gel-covered probe on the skin around the site of injury. The probe is connected to the computer and reflected sound waves are used to produce a dynamic image of the targeted area. Our physiatrists adjust the settings to ensure optimal clarity, allowing us to identify the root cause of your pain and curate a treatment plan accordingly.
Scheduling your Consultation
Glen Rock Spine & Rehab is a state-of-the-art medical center equipped with the latest diagnostic tools and technologies, such as musculoskeletal ultrasound. We use cutting-edge techniques to trace the location of your problems and provide comprehensive interventional treatments. Our curated approach to pain management helps us avoid narcotics and surgeries, ensuring optimal results and recovery. Please schedule an appointment at our medical center in Glen Rock to discuss your treatment options.