The bitter truth about sugar
WHY SUGAR IS RUINING YOUR HEALTH
They say a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. However, what we’re about to share about sugar is the bitter truth… it is both the sweetest and worst addiction ever.
Did you know that the average American consumes 17 teaspoons of added sugar a day, which adds up to 57 pounds of sugar a year? And, although a lot of this excess sugar can be found in soda, cookies, cake, and ice cream, it is a lot of times hidden in seemingly healthier foods like yogurt, pasta sauces, granola, ketchup, and salad dressings. Add high fructose corn syrup to the mix, and you’ve created a widespread, health epidemic.
The problem is that sugar offers no nutritional benefits with plenty of calories, in addition to a long list of alarming reasons why sugar is bad for you:
- Sugar causes glycemic levels to spike and plunge causing mood swings, fatigue, and headaches. This can also result in hyperactivity, anxiety, and trouble concentrating. Additionally, eating too much sugar may increase your risk for mood disorders, including depression.
- Sugar can weaken the immune system and interfere with your body’s ability to fight off disease and infection. Evidence shows that immune function decreases for hours after sugar is consumed. One research study by the Loma Linda University found that the effectiveness of white blood cells decreased up to 50% after 1-2 hours of eating sugar, lasting up to 5 hours!
- Sugar upsets mineral levels in the body. In particular, high amounts of carbohydrates can cause a chromium deficiency, which helps regulate blood sugar in the body.
- Sugar consumption has been attributed to various chronic diseases such as cancer, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Sugar can lead to trouble in the digestive system. A diet that’s high in processed food and added sugar can disrupt the good bacteria in the human gut. The resulting imbalance can cause increased cravings for sugar, which can further damage the gut. An unhealthy amount of unrefined sugar, especially high-fructose corn syrup, leads to inflammation in the body.
- Sugar causes premature aging and can speed up wrinkle development. Specifically, sugar contributes to the formulation of collagen-damaging AGEs. When you consume an increase in sugar, the AGE process is triggered. It’s sped up even more if sunlight is added to the mix.
- Sugar causes tooth decay. Cavities occur when bacteria in your mouth digest sugar and produce acid, which weakens tooth enamel.
- Sugar causes stress by releasing a huge amount of hormones causing our bodies to go into fight or flight mode.
- Sugar takes place of important nutrients. According to USDA data, people who consume the most sugar have the lowest intakes of essential nutrients––especially vitamins A, C, B-12, and calcium.
So, what’s the key takeaway here? It’s important to remember that sugars in fruits, vegetables, grain, and dairy are totally okay. Since your body digests these foods slowly, the sugar in them offers a steady supply to your cells. But beware of sugar ADDED by manufacturers to increase flavor or shelf life. Always remember to read labels and to educate yourself when making food choices. After all, optimal health and wellness are way sweeter than sugar.
Visit Glen Rock Spine & Rehab
Glen Rock Spine & Rehab is a state-of-the-art pain management center led by Dr. Michael Lagana, one of the most talented chiropractors in New Jersey. We use the latest diagnostic techniques to trace the root cause of your musculoskeletal problems and curate the ideal chiropractic plan accordingly.
We also combine chiropractic care at Glen Rock with numerous other therapies, such as acupuncture, physical therapy, and cold laser therapy, to encourage optimal healing and recovery. If you want to address the root cause of your chronic pain without relying on surgeries or narcotics, please schedule an appointment at our medical center in Glen Rock, NJ.